What better way to celebrate Halloween than with a big pot of hearty, seasonal pasta?(and you thought I was going to say a whole bag of mini Reese's cups...hah who do you think I am?)
- 1 lb short cut pasta, preferably penne
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 15oz can pumpkin (organic is best, be sure to get plain pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling).
- 1/2 cup milk (any will do)
- 1 1/2 c chicken broth
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- shake or two of hot sauce (I used 3-4 shakes of Frank's red hot)
- 7-8 sage leaves finely chopped, plus more for garnish
Meanwhile, in a deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and season with 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper. Cook about three minutes, then add the garlic. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes until fragrant and soft.
Add the pumpkin and stir to combine--about a minute or so for the pumpkin to heat through and soften. Stir in the milk until well combined. Add the chicken broth and again stir(or whisk) until well combined. Season with the remaining salt and pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg and hot sauce.
Stir in the cheese until melted. Finnish with the sage. Add the drained pasta to the sauce, stir to coat evenly. Serve up big portions with extra cheese and light garnish of sage.